Mercedes to Skip 2019 Detroit Auto Show

February 13, 2018 at 9:00 AM

Daimler AG’s Mercedes-Benz unit says it will have no formal presence at next year’s Detroit auto show, confirming reports from late last week.

The brand cites the "rising complexity" of the auto industry for its decision and says it is adjusting the “scale and size” of the company’s presence at auto shows and trade fairs in general to better align with product launches. The carmaker didn’t rule out returning to Detroit in 2020, saying that such decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis.

Mercedes had a large presence at this year’s Detroit auto show. But the company opted to unveil the redesigned G-Class SUV—with a guest appearance by action movie star and former California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger—at an off-site venue during the show.

Organizers of the Detroit auto show say they are “actively discussing future opportunities” with Mercedes.

The luxury brand is the latest carmaker to drop out of the Detroit show in recent years, following Jaguar, Land Rover, Mazda, Mini, Mitsubishi, Porsche and Volvo. Other global auto shows have had similar exoduses, as carmakers shift their marketing resources to stand-alone events and specialized conferences such as the CES electronics show in Las Vegas.